The purpose of the subject is to introduce students to the theoretical foundations of corporate governance and to develop an awareness of the practical problems associated with the interaction of the board, CEO and management, shareholders, auditors and other stakeholders of a corporation. Through the course, students will develop the technical skills necessary to evaluate the governance of a company from the perspective of an investor or potential investor in the company. The subject will also explore the link between shareholder value and corporate governance practices. We discuss how firm value depends on corporate governance practices and investor protection around the world. Greater investor protection lowers the cost of capital and results in greater financial development and economic growth. Thus, countries are searching for a set of governance practices, rules and regulations that will promote private sector development.
|Faculty||Bond Business School|
1. At the conclusion of this subject, you should be able to demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between corporate governance and firm performance.
2. At the conclusion of this subject, you should be able to understand and evaluate current recommendations with respect to corporate governance practice and disclosure.
3. At the conclusion of this subject, you should be able to evaluate executive and board remuneration structures as they impact on good governance.
4. At the conclusion of this subject you should be able to interpret recommended practice with respect to external governance structures based on shareholder structure, reporting guidelines and recommendations, and audit quality.
5. At the conclusion of this subject you should be able to interpret recommended practice with respect to internal governance structures based on Chairman/CEO separation, Board Independence, Board Committees, Executive and Director remuneration.
6. At the conclusion of this subject you should be able able to identify and critically assess current Governance practices within an organisation.
Must be admitted into an EMBA Program
This subject is not available as a general elective. To be eligible for enrolment, the subject must be specified in the students’ program structure.
Future offerings not yet planned.