Studing General English at Bond University
General English programs are available at six levels graded from beginner to advanced with each level lasting 10 weeks. Students that are unable to commence at the beginning of a 10-week cycle may commence halfway through at the 6-week point.
General English is a program that helps students achieve their English language proficiency goals in everyday communication. A wide range of contemporary topics and video materials are used, helping students discover English in the context of the modern world and making the learning process more memorable and engaging.
Students share their General English experience
About the program
Students can enter at any level of English, starting with communicative and functional General English and progressing to academic English Programs. The General English programs are 10 weeks long while the Academic Program (English for Academic Purposes) are 14 weeks long. Both the General English program and Academic English Programs include 20 hours of face to face classroom time and 5 hours of self-directed study and the General English Program also includes 5 hours of self-directed study. Show more
Students can enter at any level of English, starting with communicative and functional General English and progressing to academic English Programs. The General English programs are 10 weeks long while the Academic Program (English for Academic Purposes) are 14 weeks long. Both the General English program and Academic English Programs include 20 hours of face to face classroom time and 5 hours of self-directed study and the General English Program also includes 5 hours of self-directed study.
All programs at Bond University College are taught by highly experienced and qualified teachers using the latest technologies and educational resources and are designed to ensure students reach their academic and linguistic goals. Show less
|Starting semesters||See Structure and Subjects section.|
|Program type||Bond University College Program|
|Study area||English Language Program|
|Credit for prior study||For more details on applying for credit, please contact the Student Business Centre: [email protected]|
- The discussion of contemporary global issues, providing authenticity and an international perspective.
- Writing lessons for real life use - emails, letters, reports, etc.
- Study, Practice, Remember sections which provide integrated language summaries and practice exercises.
- Clear language aims and objectives linked to CEFR, the global scale for English.
- Directed self-study sessions and English Lab with feedback functionality and exercises, allowing students greater control of their learning.
- The Student DVD with audio and video plus transcripts which allows learners to review lessons and catch up if they miss a class.
- Textbook Series: Cutting Edge (Published by Pearson Education)
Our General English programs are self-paced, with students assessed on weekly tasks, as well as a final test in week 10 in the four skills of reading, writing, speaking and listening, and your grammar knowledge. Once a student has demonstrated the required competency, they will move up to the next level.
Full-time study involves 25 hours per week.
20 hours of face-to-face tuition and 5 hours of directed self-study and teacher supervised activities.
Program dates for 2021 to teach out current students
|Teaching Period 1||Monday, 11 January 2021||Friday, 12 March 2021|
|Teaching Period 2||Monday, 15 March 2021||Friday, 22 May 2021|
|Monday to Friday (excluding Wednesday)||Wednesday (free BBQ lunch for all students)|
12pm - 2pm
2pm - 5pm
2:45pm - 5pm
The below fees are based on an average per week cost.
Weekly program fee:
- Students commencing study in 2020: $440*
- Students commencing study in 2021: $455*
Program related costs
Allow AUD$50-$60 per semester
Bond University Student Services and Amenities Fee
* The fees listed are average costs displayed to provide an indicative program cost only, they may differ to the indicative fee included in the Bond University offer letter due to differences in individual and exact study schedules.
Tuition fees are subject to change on an annual basis and will be charged at the appropriate fee for the year of enrolment.
Students are tested on their English level and placed in an appropriate class level.