Rob joined the Australian Army as an infantry soldier before transferring to the Defence Force Physical Training Instructor (PTI) stream. As a PTI, Rob designed, developed, instructed and audited physical training programs for military personnel from both Australian and foreign defence forces. Posted to the Australian Defence Force Physical Training Instructor School he developed and delivered modules on the Combat Fitness Leader Course, The Basic PTI and Advanced PTI courses. Following completion of his master’s degree in physiotherapy, Rob served as a military physiotherapist where his role included the clinical rehabilitation and project management of physical conditioning optimisation reviews. Serving as the Human Performance Officer for the Royal Military College and Special Operations units before joining the team at Bond University in 2012, Rob continues to serve in the Army Reserve as a Human Performance Officer and as a sessional presenter.
As Director of Bond University's Tactical Research Unit, Rob leads, manages and conducts research in fields including performance optimisation, physical conditioning and injury prevention of tactical personnel from trainees to specialists.
Rob is the educational director of Tactical Strength and Conditioning - Australia and is the section editor for the Australian Strength and Conditioning Journal and editor for the NSCA TSAC Report.
- Tactical Strength and Conditioning-Australia
- National Strength and Conditioning Association
- Australian Army
- Sports Medicine Australia
- Australian Physiotherapy Association
- Human Performance Officer - Department of Defence-Army
- Sessional Lecturer - Department of Defence
- Editor - Tactical Strength and Conditioning Report, National Strength and Conditioning Association 2014-
- Guest Editor: Int J Environ Res Pub Hlth (Testing and Physical Conditioning for Tactical Populations)
- Guest Editor: Int J Environ Res Pub Hlth (Tactical Forces Injury Risk Management)
- Abstract mentor: World Congress of Physical Therapy - Occupational Health Stream (2021)
- Chair of the Organising Committee: International Physical Employment Standards
- Organising Committee: International Congress on Soldiers’ Physical Performance
- Member: California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training Physical Job Demands of Patrol Officers Taskforce
Having taught in Defence and the private sector for over 25 years, Rob's expertise lies in exercise prescription for injury prevention, rehabilitation and optimised function for athletes and special populations (military and protective services).
- 2019 Certificate of Excellence (eTEVAL) award – Principles of Physiotherapy
- 2019 Certificate of Excellence (eTEVAL) award – Evidence Based Practice
- 2017 Certificate of Excellence (eTEVAL) award – Principles of Physiotherapy
- 2016 Certificate of Excellence (eTEVAL Award) – Principles of Physiotherapy
- 2016 Faculty Award for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning through Sustained Innovation
- 2016 HSMSA - Academic Staff Excellence
- 2015 Certificate of Excellence (eTEVAL Award) – Principles of Physiotherapy
- 2014 Certificate of Excellence (eTEVAL Award) – Principles of Physiotherapy
- 2013 Certificate of Excellence (eTEVAL Award) – Maximising Human Potential
- 2013 HSM Excellence in Learning and Teaching Award for Tutors/Facilitators
- Tactical Strength and Conditioning Facilitator, National Strength and Conditioning Association
- Masters of Physiotherapy Studies, University of Queensland
- Doctor of Philosophy (Physiotherapy), University of Queensland
- Australian Defence Force Physical Training Instructor, Australian Defence Force
- Bachelor of Further Education and Training, University of Southern Queensland