An undergraduate degree in Biological Sciences, followed by a Masters and PhD in plant and seed toxicology and mycology, I went on to obtain a Masters in Education. My interest in medical education began in the late 1990s when I was invited to be part of the Curriculum Development Task Force responsible for implementing a problem-based learning curriculum (University of Natal, which later became the University of KwaZulu-Natal). After several years as Head, Division of Histology, I was offered a post in Medical Education at the United Arab Emirates University. For almost 6 years, where I was largely involved in the first 4 years of the undergraduate medical program, I took up a position as Academic Lead (PBL) at Bond University.
My research has largely revolved around student experiences in different parts of their training (e.g. the transition to the clinical environment, role models, the impact of their gender, etc.).
From January 2019, my passion for the environment has led me into Planetary Health, where I have been working nationally and internationally to advance environmental sustainability in health professions education.
Over the last few years, my research has largely revolved around student experiences in different parts of their training (e.g. the transition to the clinical environment, role models, the impact of their gender, etc.) and professional identity. More recently, most of my work is in environmental sustainability in health professions education.
- Association of Medical Education in Europe
- Fellow: Association of Medical Education in Europe (AMEE)
- Recently invited to become an Independent Reviewer: World Federation for Medical Education
Medical, Pharmacy, Nursing and Biomedical Sciences students. Mainly Histology but also Physiology and Pathology.
Curriculum development, e.g. designing a PBL curriculum, developing staff, foundation courses and professionalism.
Planetary health and environmental sustainability
- Medical Program: Year 1, mainly Histology, Examination Convener
- Medical Program: Year 2: Global and Planetary Health
- MD Supervisor: Professional Projects (Education and Planetary Health)
- Subject Convener: Planetary Health, Master of Healthcare Innovations
- Bachelor of Science (Hons), Natal University
- Masters of Science, Natal University
- Doctorate, Natal University
- Master of Education (Tertiary), Natal University
- Bachelor of Science, Natal University