This subject is an introduction to structural engineering design which includes external and internal forces, free body diagrams, static force equilibrium, statically determinate structures and design of steel beams.
|Faculty||Faculty of Society & Design|
|Study abroad||Not Available to Study Abroad students|
1. Demonstrate an understanding of structural systems and soil mechanics.
2. Appreciate the analysis of loading conditions, force, stress, strain and the laws of statics.
3. Understand the importance of standards and codes in structural design using steel and concrete as primary construction materials.
4. Recognise, understand and be able to interpret the various forms of communication, including structural drawings and details, used by the structural engineer in building and infrastructure projects.
5. Understand the power of modern modelling software tool to learn about structural action, forces and deflection, loads and similar concepts.
Students must have successfully completed SSUD11-101 Understanding Buildings 1.