This subject focusses on evidence-based practice (the use of health research in professional practice) and lays the foundation for developing professionally-relevant competencies in research and evidence-based practice. It includes the study of research and appraisal methods applicable to the interpretation, application and conduct of health research, using systematic and critical analysis approaches enshrined in the evidence-based practice approach. It uses problem-based and interactive learning to engage students in learning about the principles and applications of evidence-based practice, epidemiology, research paradigms, quantitative and qualitative research designs methods, and results appraisal and interpretation, and collaborative decision-making with patients and healthcare choices. This subject serves as a pre-requisite subject for further studies in health research design, planning implementation that follow in the Master of Occupational Therapy program.
|Faculty||Faculty of Health Sciences & Medicine|
1. Demonstrate and apply knowledge of evidence-based practice principles in professional practice.
2. Critically assess occupational therapy and health research literature.
3. Demonstrate and apply knowledge of epidemiological principles and the use of epidemiology in health.
4. Demonstrate and apply knowledge of the various study designs used in occupational therapy research.
5. Apply various qualitative research methods and the associated paradigms to address research questions.
6. Formulate research answerable questions relevant to occupational therapy practice and policy.
7. Demonstrate skills in searching the best research to answer clinical questions using the hierarchy of evidence.
8. Understand and appraise secondary research, in particular, systematic reviews of primary research.
9. Present research findings in a way relevant to audience and practice.
10. Apply ethical research practice and principles.
This subject is not available as a general elective. To be eligible for enrolment, the subject must be specified in the students’ program structure.
|Withdraw – Financial?||02/02/2021|
|Withdraw – Academic?||11/02/2021|