This is an introductory subject dealing with fundamental practices of news gathering and writing for the news media. It considers definitions of news and the relative weighting of news values. Students are introduced to news writing conventions through both simulated and real-life reporting experiences. The subject analyses and implements methods of attribution and verification. It introduces students to the news interview and basic reporting assignments. Students perform reporting duties for a campus publication and community radio program.
|Faculty||Faculty of Society & Design|
1. Identify what is news and to understand news values.
2. Gather information from a variety of sources and assemble it into a coherent news report.
3. Write reports for print and digital news media.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of how to write for specific news audiences.
5. Demonstrate an understanding of legal and ethical considerations in news publishing.