This class is for COMPLETE BEGINNERS only with no prior study of French. For students with prior study, please enrol in French Language 2. This course is structured upon the principles of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Language acquisition has been carefully engineered to enhance observation, reflection, systematisation and ultimately production of French. A mini-immersion style will be used in class, with French language used increasingly to give maximum exposure to the language and to familiarise students with the sounds and nuances of the language. This is crucial for improving listening and speaking skills. Language and culture are inextricably linked and this is reflected in each lesson. A communicative approach supports functional proficiency in the four language skills: reading, speaking, listening and writing. Students will learn how to ask for information, respond accordingly, talk about themselves and their activities. They will also learn to develop listening skills needed to understand French speakers and to identify key words and phrases and be able to write simply in French. A system of blended learning has been prepared for this class. The first 2 hour seminar will focus on the practice of the grammatical concepts in context with the lecturer facilitating discussions. The second hour of the second seminar is reserved for individual online study; this is an integral part of the course, using the iLearn links under TASKS and BLOGS to increase proficiency in all competencies.
|Faculty of Society & Design|
- September 2018 [Standard Offering]
- January 2019 [Standard Offering]
- September 2019 [Standard Offering]
- January 2020 [Standard Offering]
- Communication and Creative Media
- Commencing in 2018: $4,247
- Commencing in 2019: $4,290
1. Talk about oneself, one's activities, one's studies and one's family.
2. Learn how to ask for information, understand the answers and respond accordingly.
3. Identify key words and phrases and be able to write simply in French.
4. Develop listening skills needed to understand French speakers.
5. Read and understand simple texts in French.
6. Tell and write a short account of activities in the Present and Future and Past tenses.
| Requisites: ? |
| Restrictions: ? |