This subject introduces students to the specific disorders and difficulties that are prevalent in various groups of clients at different stages of human life, with special focus on children, adolescents, adults and the elderly. Emphasis will be placed on recognition of disorders and difficult behaviour. Students will also learn about different interventions for specific disorders.
|Faculty||Faculty of Society & Design|
1. To acquire knowledge in the major disorders and difficulties in functioning that affect mental and social wellbeing across the lifespan.
2. To learn practical techniques for identifying major disorders via symptom identification and patterns of behaviour.
3. To become familiar with scientific evidence-based frameworks for treating major disorders.
4. To develop effective expressive, receptive and written communication skills as these apply to the Counselling environments.
5. To apply basic needs analysis procedures to assist in understanding the factors which might exacerbate or reinforce disorder-based behaviours