Chemistry for Living Systems provides students with a solid foundation in chemistry required for further study in biomedical, exercise, sport and health science. The curriculum covers atomic structure, chemical bonding, solutions & equilibria, chemical compounds, stoichiometry, types of reactions such as Redox and Acid/Base and thermodynamics. It also has a substantial organic chemistry component as well as basic mathematics skills. This subject aims to teach students the basic components of biological, physical and organic chemistry.
|Faculty of Health Sciences & Medicine|
- January 2018 [Standard Offering]
- May 2018 [Standard Offering]
- January 2019 [Standard Offering]
- May 2019 [Standard Offering]
|Available to Study Abroad students|
- Commencing in 2017: $4,205
- Commencing in 2018: $4,247
1. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the basic laws, concepts, principles and processes of Chemistry that underpin health and medical sciences.
2. Apply this knowledge and understanding to problems requiring qualitative explanation or solution.
3. Solve relevant chemical/mathematical problems.
4. Locate information relating to various chemical topics and interpret appropriate data.
5. Develop confidence in predicting reactivity and solubility based on sound chemical knowledge.
6. Demonstrate competence in basic laboratory safety and techniques such as pipetting, solution preparation, UV/VIS Spectroscopy, titrations.