Differentiate yourself from the rest with a Masters of Science by Research degree
The upcoming semester for this program will be delivered in a multi-modal format, with classes designed to support and engage all learners. Whether they're on campus or abroad, all students will be able to access Bond's exceptional and personalised learning experience through dynamic and interactive lectures, tutorials, seminars, workshops and lab sessions.
The Master of Science by Research (Health Sciences) is an internationally recognised qualification that allows you to undertake supervised research in one or more of the Faculty of Health Science and Medicine’s research groups.
Bond is home to several world renowned research centres, connecting students with the world’s pre-eminent experts in their respective fields. These centres and groups include:
- The Institute for Evidence-Based Healthcare – Director: Professor Paul Glasziou
- Centre for Urology Research – Director: Professor Russ Chess-Williams
- Clem Jones Centre for Regenerative Medicine – Director: Professor Helen O’Neill
- Tactical Research Unit – Director: Dr Rob Orr
- Translational Simulation Collaborative - Director: Professor Victoria Brazil
- Chemistry Research & Interest Group
- Clinical Placement in Solomon Islands
- Health Professions Education
- Nutrition & Dietetics Research Group
- Physiotherapy Research Group
- Sport and Exercise Science Research Group
- Water-based Research Unit
- Collaboration for Research in Understanding Stigma in Healthcare (CRUSH)
You will also have access to the Faculty’s state-of-the-art laboratories and testing facilities, including the award-winning Bond Institute of Health and Sport.
The Masters of Science by Research offers a seamless transition into Bond University’s PhD program or a pathway to high level careers in research, academia or the healthcare industry.
Campus and Bond University Experience
Bond University has been ranked #1 in Australia for Student Experience by the Good Universities Guide for well over a decade.
The new Health Sciences and Medicine building (Stage 2 opened in 2019) will be your home base at Bond with dedicated study areas, collaboration spaces and laboratories that you’ll have access to during and after class. The new building even has its own café.
Further afield on campus, the team at the Career Development Centre will help strengthen your interpersonal and employability skills, as well as helping you prepare for the job application and interview process. You’ll also be able to work on real-life projects of your own choosing under the guidance of academics and industry mentors in the Transformer program.
Bond is renowned for its amazing student facilities and social activities, with a huge range of active student clubs, sporting teams, swimming pools, the aquatic centre, student gym, fitness and yoga classes, restaurants and cafes all right here on campus.
Be mentored by internationally renowned academics
The Master of Science by Research (Health Sciences) will provide students with research expertise for careers in the university, industry or research sectors. Students may also wish to continue studying at Bond University with the Doctor of Philosophy program.
- Internationally recognised degree
- Be mentored by internationally renowned academics
- Access to state-of-the-art laboratories and research resources, including one of the most advanced exercise and sports science training and testing facilities in Australia
- Seamless transition to PhD studies
About the program
The Master of Science by Research (Health Sciences) enables you to undertake supervised research studies in one or more of the Faculty of Health Sciences & Medicine's research areas and groups. It is an internationally recognised research degree and is a pathway to PhD studies. Show more
The Master of Science by Research (Health Sciences) enables you to undertake supervised research studies in one or more of the Faculty of Health Sciences & Medicine's research areas and groups. It is an internationally recognised research degree and is a pathway to PhD studies. Potential areas for research opportunity include: Anatomy Evidence-Based Practice Nutrition & Dietetics Genetics Health Professions Education Immunology Indigenous Health Medical Ethics Medical Research Neuroscience Physiology/Pharmacology Physiotherapy Public Health Sports and Exercise Science Sports Management Stem Cells Urology Bond University research students have access to the specialist expertise of our internationally published academics as well as state-of-the-art facilities. Show less
|Mode||On Campus and Remote|
Due to current travel restrictions, this program will temporarily be delivered using a mixture of on-campus, remote and multi-modal classes to support and engage all students, from all parts of the world.
|Duration||6 semesters (2 years)|
|Program type||Master Research|
|Study area||Health Sciences, Medicine, Sport|
|Credit for prior study||For more details on applying for credit, please contact the Student Business Centre: [email protected]|
The below fees are based on an annual fee over a three-semester academic calendar.
Annual program fee:
- Students commencing study in 2021: $39,760* annually.
- Students commencing study in 2022: $40,160* annually.
Total program fee:
- Students commencing study in 2021: $79,520
- Students commencing study in 2022: $80,320
Students who are Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents and New Zealand citizens may be provided with a Research Training Program (RTP) Fees Offset which exempts them from tuition fees. This exemption is valid for a maximum period of two years for full-time study or up to four years part-time study for a Masters program.
* The fees listed are average costs displayed to provide an indicative program cost only, they may differ to the indicative fee included in the Bond University offer letter due to differences in individual and exact study schedules.
Tuition fees are subject to change on an annual basis and will be charged at the appropriate fee for the year of enrolment.
* Note: for students commencing January 2021 the University has held the 2020 tuition fee amount in recognition of the current circumstances, with 2021 fees effective only from the University’s May 2021 semester.
Academic entry requirements
The minimum requirements for this program is a University Bachelor's degree with Honours in a relevant discipline, with evidence of the ability to conduct supervised research; or a qualification or combination of qualifications deemed to be equivalent by the Faculty Research Committee.
English language proficiency requirements
Applicants whose previous study was not completed in one of the countries listed where English is considered a first language, must provide documented evidence of the required level of proficiency in the English language. Read more detailed information on English Language Proficiency Requirements for university study.
How to apply
Applicants must submit an Expression of Interest as to why they wish to undertake a research degree and the area of research.
The Master of Science by Research (Health Sciences) provides you with research expertise for careers in the university, industry, or research sectors.
Graduates of the Master of Science by Research (Health Sciences), may seek employment (depending on their area of research) including but not limited to the following roles:
- Clinical Trial Coordinator
- Data Scientist
- Data Analyst
- Project Manager
- University Academic
- Medical Researcher
- Clinical Scientist
- Health Professional
- Biomedical Scientist
- Clinical Trial Coordinator
- Food Technologist
- Medicinal Chemist
- Rehabilitation Specialist
- Public Health Officer
- Community Health Officer
- Informatics Analyst
- Data Scientist / Statistician
- Project Manager
- Policy Advisor
- Health Promotion
- Scientific Writer
The Master of Science by Research (Health Sciences) graduates may wish to continue their studies with a Doctor of Philosophy (Health Sciences & Medicine) program.
According to the annual Employer Satisfaction Survey published by the Australian Government Department of Education, employer satisfaction with Bond graduates has been rated highest in Australia for three years in a row.
We believe this is due to Bond’s uniquely personalised approach to teaching, combined with the application of case-based learning that encourages the development of increased analytical reasoning, critical thinking, and a range of broader employability skills.
Before seeking to apply, prospective Masters by Research and PhD students must seek contact with a potential supervisor. Applications will only be considered for enrolment where a supervisor is available. The proposed research must fit within the Faculty’s strategic research plan and within an area of Faculty expertise.
Once a potential supervisor has been sourced, the following information is required in order for applications to be assessed:
- A detailed thesis proposal.
- University academic transcripts for all studies to date (undergraduate and postgraduate). If not already in English, these documents must be translated and certified by the translating body.
- University grading scale if applicable – the grading scale may be found on the reverse of the university academic transcript.
- A Certificate of Completion (Degree/Diploma) is required if the transcript does not indicate that the degree has been awarded/conferred. Both certified translated and untranslated copies of both transcripts and Certificate of Completion should be provided.
- A resume detailing previous work and study history.
- Two written references which should cover the candidate’s abilities, key personal attributes and capabilities (a minimum of one external reference excluding Bond University will be required).
- International students previously instructed in a language other than English are required to provide certified translated and untranslated copies of both transcripts and Certificate of Completion.
- Applicants whose previous study was not completed in one of the countries listed where English is considered a first language, must provide documented evidence of the required level of proficiency in the English language. For details please visit: English Language Proficiency Requirements
- A budget proposal for all research supplies. A budget template is available by emailing [email protected]
For any enquiries, please email: [email protected]