The upcoming semester for this program will be delivered in a multi-modal format, with classes designed to support and engage all learners. Whether they’re on campus or abroad, all students will be able to access Bond’s exceptional and personalised learning experience through dynamic and interactive lectures, tutorials, seminars, workshops and lab sessions.
A career in Actuarial Science opens the doors to careers in a wide range of fields in jobs that are in high demand. Studying Actuarial Science at Bond will develop your skill in all aspects of the quantitative assessment of business including financial risk evaluation and management as well as economic modelling and prediction. In addition, it includes opportunities to learn techniques in the important and growing field of business analytics to help create practical solutions for real-world problems.
The Master of Actuarial Science (Specialisation) is a six-semester program that provides those with an undergraduate degree in an alternative field the opportunity to gain an Actuarial Science degree and complete Actuarial Part I (Foundation Program) subjects.
Students have the opportunity to undertake a specialisation to be identified as an expert in an area of Actuarial Science upon graduation. The recommended specialisation is Data Analytics, however, students have the option to choose any other Bond Business School specialisation.
Any completed relatable undergraduate program will also gain you up to 40 credit points towards the Master of Actuarial Science - specialisation program.
Campus and Bond University Experience
For the past 15 years, Bond University has been recognised as Australia’s number one university for student experience according to the Good Universities Guide. In addition, the Bond Business School rates number one in Australia for business and management in Learner Engagement, Learning Resources, Overall Quality of Educational Experience, Skills Development, Student Support and Teaching Quality.
Bond Business School brings the industry into the classroom, providing a personalised educational experience, combining studies with a transformative life experience. As a Bond student, you will have access to an array of networking opportunities including the Bond Business Leaders Forum and Business Links which are a series of presentations from high profile Australian and International business leaders, providing invaluable provide invaluable development and networking opportunities for business professionals, the local community and beyond. Students at Bond Business School have access to an array of state-of-the-art learning resources including the Bond FinTech Hub, Commercialisation Centre, Centre for Data Analytics and Transformer.
What our students say
- Have the opportunity to gain industry experience while you study
- Be mentored by Australia’s leading economists, statisticians, financial analysts and mathematicians
- Learn in small class sizes. Our high student to teacher ratio opens doors to industry placements, research projects, job opportunities and help whenever you need it
- Experience global business environments with international Study Tours
- Access to an array state-of-the-art learning resources including the Bond FinTech Hub, Commercialisation Centre, Centre for Data Analytics and Transformer
- Have the opportunity to gain a Bloomberg certification during your degree and unlock your potential for more job opportunities in the global market
About the program
The Master of Actuarial Science (Specialisation) is an innovative and immersive program that combines elements of economics, finance, statistics, data analytics and advanced mathematics to develop techniques for the management of risk and business decision making. The Master of Actuarial Science (Specialisation) will be taught via smaller classes for personalised attention and unparalleled access to Bond University's Bond FinTech Hub and Bloomberg data-sourcing terminals. Show more
The Master of Actuarial Science (Specialisation) is an innovative and immersive program that combines elements of economics, finance, statistics, data analytics and advanced mathematics to develop techniques for the management of risk and business decision making. The Master of Actuarial Science (Specialisation) will be taught via smaller classes for personalised attention and unparalleled access to Bond University's Bond FinTech Hub and Bloomberg data-sourcing terminals. The program will develop skills in the challenge of handling 'big data’ to create practical solutions for real-world problems. Employment opportunities include working as an investment analyst, portfolio manager, actuarial consultant, insurance actuary, superannuation actuary, risk analyst, big data analyst, liability manager and high-level manager. The successful completion of the program at an appropriate level of performance will lead to Part I qualification with the Actuaries Institute. Show less
|Duration||6 semesters (2 years)|
|Program type||Masters Coursework|
|Study area||Actuarial Science|
|Credit for prior study||For more details on applying for credit, please contact the Student Business Centre: [email protected]|
The Master of Actuarial Science (Specialisation) program comprises 18 subjects, as follows:
Required subjects (12)
- ACCT71-100 Accounting Principles
- ACSC71-200 Mathematical Statistics
- ACSC71-201 Financial Mathematics
- ACSC71-301 Contingencies
- ACSC71-305 Actuarial and Financial Models
- ACSC71-306 Stochastic Processes
- ACSC71-307 Survival Analysis
- ECON71-100 Principles of Economics
- ECON71-200 Linear Models and Applied Econometrics
- ECON71-202 Macroeconomics
- FINC71-601 Corporate Finance
- FINC71-603 Investments
- Students must choose a specialisation (4 Subjects) from the list below
- Data Analytics
- Health Management
- International Business
- Tourism and Hotel Management
- Please visit the Major, minor and specialisation study areas for guidance on specialisations.
- Students can choose 2 General Elective Subjects (20CP).
- General elective – A subject that may be chosen from any subject on offer across the University provided requisites, enrolment restrictions and any other faculty requirements have been met.
Students may also choose one of the following opportunities to use your elective subject to have international experiences or an Internship opportunity provided you meet the requirements. Please discuss this with the Enrolment Advisor in the Student Business Centre.
- The Study Tour requires approval from the Faculty. (Please note that additional costs and visa requirements are associated with this subject).
- The Internship requires a 2.0 GPA and approval from the Faculty with an application to the Career Development Centre.
- The Individual Study Topic is only available in exceptional circumstances and requires the Program Director's approval.
Please visit BBS Program Structure and Sequencing for guidance on study plans.
The below fees are based on the total estimated program fee divided by the number of standard full-time semesters required to complete the program. Fees may vary based on which subjects are selected and the number of subjects enrolled in for each semester.
Semester program fee:
- Students commencing study in 2022: $15,813* per semester average
- Students commencing study in 2023: $16,223* per semester average
Total program fee:
- Students commencing study in 2022: $94,880
- Students commencing study in 2023: $97,340
When considering the fees associated with your studies, keep in mind that Bond’s accelerated schedule means you can finish your degree sooner and be out in the workforce up to a year earlier than most other universities.
This time saving also represents a substantial reduction in accommodation and living costs, plus a full year of extra earnings.
* The fees listed are average costs displayed to provide an indicative program cost only, they may differ to the indicative fee included in the Bond University offer letter due to differences in individual and exact study schedules.
Tuition fees are subject to change on an annual basis and will be charged at the appropriate fee for the year of enrolment.
Academic entry requirements
Entry into the Master of Actuarial Science requires the completion of an undergraduate degree from a recognised institution and well-developed mathematical abilities.
Please contact the Office of Future Students for further information.
English language proficiency requirements
As tuition is delivered in English, all students will be required to provide documented evidence of the required level of proficiency in the English language. Read more detailed information on English language proficiency requirements for university study.
Credit for prior study
Subject credits may be awarded for previous studies. To apply for credits, you will need to submit academic transcripts including detailed subject outlines/course descriptions for each relevant subject and/or certified copies of testamurs to the Office of Future Students. Please refer to how to apply for credit for more information
How to apply
Bond Actuarial graduates are very well placed in the job market and the skills are highly transferrable between countries. The growing demand for quantitative business skills is due to organisations realising the benefits they can gain from analysing big data, particularly in applications of data mining, machine learning and other techniques across many industries.
A Master of Actuarial Science (Specialisation) will prepare students for rewarding careers in a range of disciplines, including:
- Business Consulting
- Data Analytics and Predictive Algorithms
- E-Commerce and Digital Marketing
- Health Administration
- Quantitative Research and Infrastructure
- Risk Management
- Safety Assessment and Risk Mitigation
- Statistical Inferences
- Superannuation and Lifetime Asset Management
- Technology Innovation
Our graduates are highly sought after upon graduation and employable as a:
- Business Efficiency Consultant
- Investment Valuation Analyst
- Portfolio Manager
- Hedge Fund Manager
- Actuarial Consultant
- Insurance Actuary
- Superannuation Actuary
- Regulatory Actuary
- Risk Assessment Analyst
- Data Science Analyst
- Liability Manager
- Pricing Associate
- Portfolio Analyst
Bond is one of only seven universities in Australia, the only one in Queensland, to offer the fully accredited program by the Actuaries Institute and has recognition agreements with the Society of Actuaries (worldwide).
Bond Business School is among less than 7% of the world’s 13,000 business programs to have earned accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) and less than 2% have earned European Foundation for Management Development's (EFMD) European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS) accreditation. Bond Business School is both AACSB and EQUIS accredited placing us in the top 2% of Business Schools in the world.
Bond Business School is also 1 of 4 universities in Australia who are members of the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC), a tangible statement of the significant contribution our programs make to graduate management education.
At Bond, we believe education goes beyond the classroom. Our unique Beyond Bond program will expand your horizons with internships, global volunteering programs, international competitions, industry conferences, study tours, community service and much, much more.