Terence Gygar, RFD
- Associate Professor and Director, China Programs
- Faculty of Law
Level 4, Building 4, Faculty of Law, Bond University
Terry is a former Australian Regular Army Officer. He served in the permanent forces for 7 years including service in Vietnam with an Aviation Reconnaissance Unit and later in the Army Reserve holding senior appointments in Officer Training Units.
He was elected to Queensland Parliament as the Liberal Member for Stafford from 1974 to 1989 holding various Shadow Portfolios. During this time he was awarded a Chevening Scholarship for study at the London School of Economics.
Following his Parliamentary service he completed his LLB at Bond with first class honours and was awarded the inaugural Bond University Gold Medal in Law. He is a barrister of the Supreme Court of Queensland and the High Court and Federal Court of Australia.
He has extensive experience in Asia, having taught at the International Islamic University in Malaysia and City University of Hong Kong, where, in 2003, he was responsible for developing a new legal education syllabus following the return of Hong Kong to the PRC. He has since held a visiting Professorship and taught masters programs at East China University of Politics and Law, Shanghai.
Terry has been awarded the Australian Active Service Medal, General Service Medal Vietnam, Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal, Australian Centenary Medal, Reserve Forces Decoration (R.F.D.), National Medal and Australian Defence Medal by the Australian Government in recognition of his services to the defence forces, government, education and the law.
- Queensland Bar Association
- Foundation Member, Asia Pacific Law Deans' Association
- Gold Coast Law Association
- Barrister - Supreme Court of Queensland
- Barrister - High Court of Australia, Federal Court of Australia
Skills Training, Advocacy, Legal Education, Torts, Australian Govt & Politics, Media & Telecommunications Law, Legal English & Law in the PRC.
- 2006 Stanley Shaw Bond Prize for Teaching Excellence
- 2007 Vice Chancellor's Quality Award for Teaching Excellence
- LAWS11-211 - Principles of Tortious Liability
- LAWS13-475 - Australian Government and Politics
- LAWS13-413 - Media and Telecommunications Law
- LAWS13-449 - Law in the People's Republic of China
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours), Bond University