This subject places emphasis upon intermediate to advanced digital design techniques, building directly upon studies in Rhinoceros in Design Communication: NURBS Modelling. The visual scripting platform Grasshopper will be used as a tool for the exploration of computational and parametric techniques in architectural design. This subject explores in some depth the area of digital fabrication and its synergies with computational design, whereby students will be introduced to a variety of equipment in the Advanced Fabrication and Robotics Laboratory, including 3D printers, laser cutters, CNC routers, and industrial robots. Students will complete small projects focusing on one or more of these fabrication technologies, progressively building into a comprehensive design and fabrication project.
|Faculty||Faculty of Society & Design|
1. Develop a facility with parametric design software, including an understanding of common paradigms and workflows (AIA Tertiary Education Policy category 3.7.1 and 3.7.2).
2. Demonstrate a formal understanding of the interrelationships between design and construction/fabrication technologies (AIA Tertiary Education Policy category 3.2.1 and 3.2.2).
3. Effectively use advanced fabrication techniques and equipment to solve design problems (AIA Tertiary Education Policy category 3.7.1 and 3.7.2).
4. Use parametric software platforms and techniques for exploration of architectural ideas (AIA Tertiary Education Policy category 3.7.1 and 3.7.2).
5. Display an understanding of the capabilities of digital fabrication technology as they apply to architecture and construction (AIA Tertiary Education Policy category 3.7.1 and 3.7.2).
6. Display an expanded awareness of significant precedents in the evolution of architecture as a discipline based in analogue representation techniques to one that is digitally enhanced (AIA Tertiary Education Policy category 3.3.2).
There are no co-requisites.
Faculty approval is required for non-Architecture students.
This subject is not available as a general elective. To be eligible for enrolment, the subject must be specified in the students’ program structure.
Future offerings not yet planned.