The major Australian competitive grant funding scheme rounds are managed by the Australian Research Council (ARC) and the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC). Grant guidelines for schemes are now published on Grant Connect.
Below is a list of ARC schemes. Please click on the links for further information
- Discovery Project
- Discovery Early Career Researcher Award
- Discovery Indigenous
- Australian Laureate Fellowships
- Future Fellowships
- Linkage Projects
- Industrial Transformation Research Program
- Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities
- ARC Centres of Excellence
- Special Research Initiatives
- Supporting Responses to Commonwealth Science Council Priorities
The NHMRC are currently undertaking a restructure of their grants programs. The new program will comprise four funding streams:
- Investigator Grants, will consolidate separate fellowship and research support into one grant scheme that will provide the highest-performing researchers at all career stages with funding for their salary (if required) and a significant research support package.
- Synergy Grants, will provide $5 million per grant for outstanding multi disciplinary research teams to work together to answer complex questions.
- Ideas Grants, will support innovative and creative research projects, and be available to researchers with bright ideas at all career stages, including early and mid-career researchers.
- Strategic and Leveraging Grants, will support research that addresses identified national needs. This will include an enhanced Targeted Calls for Research scheme and a dedicated funding stream for Clinical Trials and Cohort Studies. It also includes existing schemes such as Centres of Research Excellence, Development Grants, international collaborative schemes, and Partnerships for Better Health (Partnership Centres and Partnership Projects).
If you are looking at applying for funding through the NHMRC/ARC in the 2020/2021 schemes, please submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) by 31 August 2020. See below for further details on this process. Please note all dates must be adhered to in order to ensure that your application is submitted on time.
The ARC and NHMRC have released their dates for the 2020/2021 Grants Rounds. The below document contains information on key external and internal dates and milestones:
Applying for ARC or NHMRC funding via EOI submission
Each year the ARC and NHMRC offer research funding to universities. These major funding rounds are highly competitive and the preparation of applications is time-intensive. To increase the likelihood of success in securing this Category 1 competitive research funding, the University has developed a new grant application process. Please see the following document for further information on this process and key dates. If you are intending to apply for ARC or NHMRC funding in the 2021 round, please complete the relevant EOI form and return to [email protected] by 31 August 2020. Failure to meet this deadline will mean that your application will not be considered until the EOI deadline in July/August 2021.
Please note: There is a separate EOI form depending on the scheme your are applying for - select the appropriate EOI form from the list below: