Dr Franci Cantatore
- Associate Professor
- Faculty of Law
Level 4, Building 4, Faculty of Law, Bond University
Francina is admitted to practice on the Rolls of the Supreme Court of Queensland and the High Court of Australia. Prior to practising as special counsel with a local law firm and joining the Bond Faculty of Law, she was the in-house legal adviser for an Australian finance company. She previously practised as a solicitor and barrister in South Africa.
Franci's specialty areas of practice, teaching and research are commercial and consumer law, media and communications law, property and finance law, as well as intellectual property law. She holds a PhD from Bond University in the area of copyright law. Franci teaches in the areas of Property Law, Personal Property Transactions and Media and Communications Law. She has published a book on copyright and publishing in the digital sphere, as well as a significant number of articles related to her research areas in refereed academic journals.
She established and is currently the Director of the Bond Law Clinic, a Faculty run law clinic program which consists of four Pro Bono clinics (Commercial Law, Community Law, Criminal Law and Human Rights Clinic). The Commercial Law Clinic, held at the Law Faculty premises, provides free legal advice to small businesses and non-profit organisations.
Franci is the recipient of a number of teaching awards, including an Australian National Office of Learning and Teaching Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning.
- Legal Practitioner, Supreme Court of Queensland
- Legal Practitioner, High Court of Australia
- Society for the History of Authorship, Reading and Publishing, USA
- Queensland Law Society
- Copyright Society of Australia
- Board Member - Queensland Writers Centre
- Director - Bond Law Clinic, Bond University
- Special Counsel - Cronin Litigation Lawyers
- Executive Committee Member - Centre for Professional Legal Education
Property Law, Personal Property Transactions, Copyright Law, Media and Communications Law, Property Law A, Competition and Consumer Law and Legal Obligations.
- 2014 LexisNexis – Australasian Law Teachers Association Award for Excellence and Innovation in the Teaching of Law: Early Career Law Teacher Award
- 2014 Faculty of Law Teaching Award
- 2015 Australian National Office of Learning and Teaching Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning
- 2014 Vice Chancellor's Quality Award for Teaching
- Master of Arts, Griffith University
- Bachelor of Laws [Honours], University of Pretoria
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Pretoria
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice [with Merit], Australian National University
- Doctor of Philosophy, Bond University