This is an eight (8) week subject designed to provide the necessary knowledge and skills to enable the students to be strategic in their physiotherapy practice, successfully conduct and market a small business, effectively manage clinical and administrative staff and successfully advocate on behalf of individual clients, client groups and the physiotherapy profession. Students will be introduced to the importance of public health, undertake a needs analysis to inform a public health submission and develop a written business plan. Students will also project manage fundraising opportunities in small groups. An underpinning assumption of the subject is that physiotherapists are, or will be clinicians, educators, community leaders, employers, employees, managers, business owners, or any combination of these, as well as people with lives outside the physiotherapy profession. The sessions will, therefore, draw on the available evidence from the field of leadership, management, behavioural and geo-political sciences, as well as real life examples and reports.
|Faculty||Faculty of Health Sciences & Medicine|
1. Evaluate and integrate key management issues in the private sector with specific focus on the setting up/purchase and operation of a private physiotherapy practice
2. Demonstrate an ability to be strategic in their practice and be able to develop and evaluate a strategic plan
3. Identify and analyse aspects required for the successful marketing of a small business
4. Prepare, conduct, analyse and report on the essential components of a business plan
5. Analyse the concept of organisational theory and its application to organisational structures
6. Examine and evaluate the principles of management including communication, motivation, leadership and performance appraisal
7. Identify public health structures and organisations and the importance of public health
8. Prepare, conduct, analyse and report on a public health submission for an identified need in the community
9. Actively and effectively advocate on behalf of individual clients and client groups
10. Identify areas in which the physiotherapy professional body advocates on behalf of the profession
There are no co-requisites.
|Withdraw – Financial?||11/06/2020|
|Withdraw – Academic?||21/06/2020|