Dr Colette Southam
- Associate Professor of Finance
- Bond Business School
Level 4, Building 2, Bond Business School, Bond University
Dr Colette Southam is an Associate Professor of Finance and Director of the Centre for Experiential Learning at the Bond Business School where she teaches case-based finance subjects. Colette founded the Australian Business Case Network to enhance students’ decision-making skills and overcome impediments to case teaching in Australia. Previously, Colette was on faculty at the Ivey Business School, Canada where she taught corporate and international finance in their undergraduate, Executive MBA, and PhD programs and was a faculty mentor for Ivey Consulting Project. Colette is a recipient of Universities Australia Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning, Bond University Vice Chancellor’s Award for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning through Sustained Innovation and has been repeatedly recognised by the Bond Business School Dean and Student Association for her teaching excellence.
Colette's research focuses on helping companies improve their corporate and international financial decision making with specific interests in carbon market efficiency and international capital raising. She is working with an interdisciplinary team to create improved financial valuation models to quantify the potential economic impact of carbon capture technologies for the mining sector. Prior to undertaking graduate studies in business, Colette was as a geneticist working with academia, the biotechnology industry, and Health Canada to develop gene probes to detect food pathogens. Colette enjoys working on industry-supported research projects which provide her with the opportunity to combine her science background with finance and economic fundamentals. Colette chooses projects that will have a high impact on business and society and has also published in top-tier academic journals.
- American Finance Association
- Western Finance Association
- Financial Management Association
At the Ivey School of Business, Colette taught HBA (International Finance, Introductory Finance, Ivey Consulting Project), Executive MBA (International Strategic Financial Planning), and Ph.D. (Corporate Finance, Financial Fundamentals).
- Universities Australia: Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning, 2021
- Bond University Business Students' Teaching Excellence Award, May, 2012; September, 2020
- Bond University Business School Dean's Excellence in Teaching Award, January, 2013; May, 2013; January, 2014; September, 2017; January, 2020; September, 2020
- Ivey Business School Publishing Award: Alex Sharpe’s Portfolio: Top 20 Best-selling Case, 2016-2018
- Vice Chancellor’s Award for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning through Sustained Innovation, 2017
- Bond University Business School Award for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning through Sustained Innovation, 2016
- Ivey Publishing Director’s New Case Writer Award, 2009
- Ivey Business School David Burgoyne Teaching Award for Outstanding Commitment to Student Development, 2007
- Western University, Canada Student Council Teaching Honour Roll, 2007
- Bachelor of Science with Honours (Molecular Genetics), University of Guelph, Canada
- Master of Business Administration (with Distinction), Northern Arizona University, USA
- Doctor of Philosophy (Finance), Ivey Business School, Western University, Canada