What is My Community Legal Clinic?
Clinic Coordinator: Ms Miranda Podleska
The My Community Legal Clinic enables law students to volunteer their time during their degree to gain practical insight and experience across a broad spectrum of areas of law.
The Clinic is a collaboration between Bond University’s Faculty of Law and My Community Legal, which is a nationally accredited community legal centre, located in Robina on the Gold Coast. Students will volunteer on a fortnightly basis during a semester.
My Community Legal provides free legal advice across a wide range of legal matters, including: family and domestic violence, consumer disputes, debt matters, employment law, traffic and minor criminal offences, immigration law, wills and estates administration and family law
Information for students
Have a look at how to apply for more information on the application process.
There are currently twelve volunteer positions offered per semester in the My Community Legal Clinic.
Students must demonstrate the following:
- Current enrolment at Bond University in a law degree program, either an LLB, JD or the GDLP program
- Successful completion of 8 compulsory law subjects
- High level of English communication skills – written and oral
- High level of interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a team, and communicate with colleagues
- Strong work ethic
- An interest in the work of community legal centres and access to justice initiatives
- Experience in community or extra-curricular volunteering
- Experience working in hospitality, retail, or other frontline services
- Demonstrated knowledge of barriers to justice
Typically, student volunteers being supervised at the Clinic will:
- Assist lawyers at the Centre with matters in various areas of the law by undertaking client intakes, preparing materials related to advice, and supporting with risk management processes.
- Have additional opportunities to learn about practice management and administration requirements applicable to law firms.
- Gain practical work experience dealing with legal cases
- Obtain drafting experience in legal matters
- Contribute volunteer service by assisting legal practitioners
- Network with experienced legal practitioners in a community legal centre environment