COVID-19 (coronavirus): Latest advice for the Bond community.

Information for students from United Kingdom

Australia and English Law are based on similar principles. Graduates in one jurisdiction can adapt easily to the law of the other jurisdiction. One of the most common career paths for young Australian Lawyers is to move to London for work for one of the international law firms which are based there. Scores of Bond graduates now work in London.

Bond law faculty links to the United Kingdom

Bond University Faculty of Law has several staff members with British qualifications. Associate Professor David Field (LLB Nottingham) has a British undergraduate degree while British postgraduate qualifications are held by Professors Laurence Boulle, Denis Ong, and William van Caenegem and by Associate Professor Jay Forder.

Which law program should I take?

Britons seeking a professional qualification who have already completed a first degree may enrol in the Juris Doctor (JD) program.

Students who have not completed a first degree must enrol in the Bachelor of Laws (LLB) program. Bond follows the British and Australian tradition in admitting high school graduates direct to the LLB program. Credit towards the elective component of the LLB degree will ordinarily be given for at least four subjects from any pre-law university studies.

UK law graduates wishing to specialise in international, corporate and trade law or dispute resolution should consider our Master of Laws. Current UK students might consider a one semester exchange program.

Will my Australian law degree allow me allow me to practise in the United Kingdom?

Most Australian graduates working in the UK practised first in Australia for two years. That experience enabled them to qualify for admission in the UK by taking the Qualified Lawyers Transfer Test (QLTT) which began phasing out over a three-year period from 1 September 2010. The QLTT was replaced by the Qualified Lawyers Transfer Scheme (QLTS) which is administered by the Solicitors Regulation Authority in the UK.