What is the Commercial Law Clinic?
Coordinator: Dr Franci Cantatore
Staffed by Bond law students supervised by local legal practitioners, the Commercial Law Clinic provides free legal assistance to small businesses, entrepreneurs and non-profit organisations.
The Commercial Law Clinic operates as a small business legal advice clinic. Free legal advice is available to: Members of the public thinking about starting a small business, small business owners, and non-profit organisations. [A ‘small business’ is any business with fewer than 20 employees, or fewer than 100 employees in the case of manufacturers).
The Clinic is a 10-week program that enables law students, during their degrees, to volunteer their time to gain practical insight and experience in commercial law. The Clinic is a collaboration between the Bond University Faculty of Law and local law firms, and is located at the Faculty of Law. Students volunteer with the Clinic during semester for a commitment of 2 hours per week from 5-7pm every alternate Wednesday.
The Commercial Law Clinic provides basic legal advice about the following issues: Business structures; Intellectual property, e.g. trademarks and copyright; Consumer protection and competition regulation; Human resource management and industrial relations; Disputes; Contracts; Franchising; Leasing; Debt recovery and Licensing.
Objectives of the Clinic
- To offer free legal advice as a community service initiative.
- To provide high quality, practitioner supervised legal assistance to small businesses and NFP organisations in the Gold Coast region and beyond.
- To provide Bond law students with an opportunity to gain practical experience in a controlled and supportive environment and prepare them for practice.
- To provide local legal practitioners with an opportunity to engage in pro bono service.
How do I get involved?
Have a look at how to apply for more information.
Those interested in volunteering at the Commercial Law Clinic should submit a current Curriculum Vitae, Bond university transcript, and covering letter to email@example.com in Week 1 of the semester. Your covering letter should include why you would like to become involved and what you hope to gain from the experience. Your Curriculum Vitae and covering letter should be no more than two pages each. Applications will be considered on merit and shortlisted applicants may be required to attend an interview.
There are currently 10 volunteer positions offered in the Commercial Law Clinic per semester: 2 Clinic Administrator positions and 8 Student Advisor positions.
Who can apply?
Applicants must currently be enrolled at Bond University in a law degree program, either an LLB or JD. They must have completed some commercial law subjects. Completion of at least 3 semesters is preferred but not essential.
What does it entail?
Students will engage with clients under the supervision of legal practitioners and gain experience in interviewing clients, researching and preparing advice on commercial law issues.
- Gain practical work experience dealing with real cases.
- Obtain drafting experience in real legal matters.
- Provide pro bono advice to clients under the supervision of lawyers.
- Network with experienced lawyers in the Clinic environment.